Thursday, August 9, 2012
Positive changes and healthy living.
It's interesting how quickly a location can change you. Since moving to Colorado, I've made some healthy changes that I wanted to share with you.
1. Hiking weekly. It's no secret that I was not very active in PA. Here in Colorado I've been trying to hike at least once a week. Eventually, once I get my routine down, I will find a yoga class! Hold me to that. Tied into this is also fresh air! I've been spending much more time outside.
2. No more Nutella. Not only that, but I've been more conscious about cutting out sugar as well as processed foods. If you know me, then you also know that I used to eat jars of Nutella with a spoon. It is indeed my weakness, but it's not very healthy. I will be attempting to make 'Raw Nutella' in the near future, and of course I will document it here. Another good alternative, although expensive, is Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter.
3. A vegan diet. I haven't completely committed, and probably never will, but I have been eating vegan much more often. Less cheese, less dairy. I want to also eat a bit less bread also because eating gluten free has been so beneficial to some people I know.
4. Comfortable clothing. Since living here I've left my house wearing yoga pants, something I only did in Philadelphia if I was actually going to yoga. I feel a lot less pressure to dress up for work and just about any casual outfit I put on feels fashionable. Colorado is not a fashion-forward state, people tend to wear whatever they feel like and I respect that. Although my dresses and heels are getting a bit unnecessary.
5. Juicing. And smoothies. I'm planning a whole post on delicious combinations for fresh juice, but I must mention that carrot apple juice is delicious and a great way to get your daily vitamins. Most days I've also been making green smoothies for breakfast - kale (or spinach or both), a banana, greek yogurt, almond milk and a spoonful of peanut butter blended together.
6. Work life balance. I and most people leave work at 5 pm. By my East Coast standards, this is unheard of! Also, most of my co-workers take a lunch break. I feel less stressed out, which is definitely an improvement.
Little changes can lead to positive things! Of course, I've only just begun. I expect everything to keep getting better from here!
How is your week going?